Friday, November 5, 2010

Stumbling

I love the way C.S. Lewis communicates. I would say that I wish I could write like him but I know that God uniquely wired me up to be me, not C.S. Lewis. But I ran across something in "The Screwtape Letters" that inspired me this morning. I'll let Lewis tell it his way, "He leaves the creature to stand up on its own legs–to carry out from the will alone duties which have lost all relish. It is during such trough periods, much more than during the peak periods, that it is growing into the sort of creature He wants it to be. Hence the prayers offered in the state of dryness are those which please Him best. We can drag our patients along by continual tempting, because we design them only for the table, and the more their will is interfered with the better. He cannot ‘tempt’ to virtue as we do to vice. He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there He is pleased even with their stumbles. Do not be deceived, Wormwood. Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy’s will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys."

He is pleased even with their stumbles. I like this...alot. If you don't believe this, read the book of Job. The cosmic wager that Satan initiated with God. The arrogance and assurance with which Satan proposed man was only loyal to God because of what God can do for us. Then God says one of my favorite things, "Have you considered my servant Job?" Do you think God was surprised that Job remained faithful?? Do you think God was surprised that Job questioned and wrestled with God?? God knew Job's heart. Even though Job was the most righteous man on the Earth it was not his piety that God loved. It was Job's heart. Job makes this so clear when he says, "Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him." Job suffered dearly, but that isn't the point. Job trusted God over anything he felt or experienced.

Take this with you today. Job had lots of questions and was confused about a lot of things. BUT. Job didn't have the benefit of the behind the scenes drama like we do. From the very beginning, before Job lost everything, God had faith in Job too. God knew that Job would come through. God believes in me and he believes in you. He wouldn't have wasted His Son on an unworthy cause.

So to use C.S. Lewis again, God is not so much concerned with the stumbling. It is in the reaching up for Him that matters.

4 comments:

  1. Simple, rich post. Who of us grows weary of being reminded of the kinds of things the hero's of the Bible endured, or of their stumbles, only to see again and again that the Father not only loves us, but enjoys us and has faith in OUR faith in Him and His Son, Jesus.

    Thanks Lynne, I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil!! I really like you too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment makes more sense in light of my post from today :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, have found myself inspired to read The Screwtape Letters, but lacking the time. So, I ordered them on CD...wowza! Focus on the Family has done an amazing job capturing the emotion of the book. Have not felt so...dare I say convicted...in awhile! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete